Monday, February 4, 2008

A messy adventure in time for a meeting

A few days ago, I had a meeting at one of the cable networks. I took the subway out to their offices, way out in the eastern-most part of the city. I arrived to the destination station (in a mall) with 40 minutes before I had to be at the meeting so I had some time to kill. I got a bagel and a coffee, and decided that instead of getting on a bus to go maybe two stops, I would just walk across the bridge over the highway.

I exited the mall through the north-east exit and walked across the parking lot. By the time I ran out of parking lot, I had a small patch of grass to cross to get to the sidewalk. I took a step onto the grass. With my second step, my feet flew out from under me and I landed on my ass. It was a mild day and the grass was wet and slick from the melting snow so I slid down a little hill like a water slide and landed in a puddle at the bottom, spilling my coffee all over myself - and my favorite t-shirt - as I went. I climbed up out of the puddle with my entire right side covered in mud, and my pants and shoes soaking wet.

I crossed the bridge, arrived to the building, and got an interesting look from the security guard who let me through. I checked in at the front desk and asked to use the restroom to clean myself up before my meeting as "I took a terrible tumble." The receptionist, bless her, stood up with concern and made sure I was OK. I explained that it was more funny than anything else, and she gave me the key to the restroom where I scraped the mud and grass off of my coat and pants as best I could. Actually cleaning myself would prove impossible. I got the mud off and dried myself as best as I could, and then checked in for my meeting. When the TV executive I was meeting with arrived, she asked how I was doing. I told her to take a look at me to see how I was doing.

The happy news is that my favorite t-shirt, the retro-looking Spider-Man one with "Amazing" written in Japanese, survived. the coffee came out after soaking it in a sink full of hot water and dish soap.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha thats amazing!

Anonymous said...

ahhaha. that's why going out to CTV sucks.

Sean Ward said...

Kat: In the plus column, the network I was visiting is moving to the former Chum building at Queen and John.

Anonymous said...

Funny story!!! Glad your spidey shirt survived!!!

Anonymous said...

awww...man that sounds like something that would happen to me! glad your t-shirt is alright.