Saturday, June 16, 2007

Changes... and Monterey Pop

Today is the 40th anniversary of the first day of the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. This was the pre-cursor to Woodstock, beating it out of the gate by two years. It was the very first rock festival, the first event of it's kind, the first such event to draw an attendance in the hundreds of thousands. The diversity of the acts on the bill is nothing like the rock festivals we see nowadays. You've got The Who and Jimi Hendrix, but you've also got The Mamas & the Papas, and even Ravi Shankar.

I'm listening to highlights of the festival in my earphones as I type. I'm spending the day doing absolutely nothing, as my plans got cancelled on me. Which isn't so bad, I've got a huge backlog of viewing material that's now overdue at the video shop (thank God for no late fees!). It's a weird time right now, everything is so in flux. My relationship ended earlier this week with one company with which I was engaged in a big project. The big merger between two super-empires is going to impact another of the projects I'm involved in whichever way it goes. Between last weekend's Comicon, recording the album, and all of the content I have to create for all of my jobs, it's been pretty breakneck for a while. I'm quite happy to take today to just lounge and do fuck all.

What's your connection to the mysterious forces like? Do you ever know that you're getting a message but you can't quite crack what it is?

And now to lighten this entry up, here's my performance of Brooklyn Zoo from Hip Hop Karaoke Toronto on June 14th:

No comments: