Friday, March 2, 2007

The story of rehearsal

Last weekend I was in the recording studio recording the vocals for three songs. We were going to rehearse for Saturday's Edge 102 gig in that same studio, but during the day the studio is a place where they make radio commercials and our rehearsal got bumped because the Ford Motor Company had a big emergency. So after a few phone calls to find a new place, we just decided to practice in Otis' music room. Otis is filling in on the turntables while Human Kebab is off in Alberta. He's a dude I've known from the internet for ages and ages for his music and sound projects, and only recently he gets in touch with me to tell me he got married to a Canadian babe and he's living in Toronto now.

So we're in his music room and I'm playing the beat for my intro (avid fans know that I use a different instrumental every time). This time around I'm using the instrumental for Jay-Z's SHOW ME WHAT YOU'VE GOT. Otis hears it and he goes "oh, I know what that is!" I say "Yeah, it's Jay-Z--", and Otis says "No, that's Shaft in Africa". He digs through this record collection, pulls out the Shaft In Africa soundtrack, and plays the original song that Jay-Z took the sample from. Right then I knew that Otis and I are going to work very well together.

No comments: